Sunday 23 June 2013

Alcoholics Anonymous | June 23 | DonInLondon | Step 6 "Let Go"



June 23 2013: step six in mind… "Assertive: how am I feeling? Why? What can I do? Empathy: how are we feeling? Why? What can we do?" I am so grateful that many years ago it was explained to me how to be assertive, and how to have empathy. Assertive: knowing my part in matters. Empathy: knowing how we all feel or least another person feels in the moment of now. Sometimes when we are in conflict with others and their ideas, being assertive is good, being aggressive, will get me nowhere. Just because I am right, about something I know and live, it does not mean you will agree with me. And indeed I need to be sure that I do not tread on the toes of others, or they will retaliate in a way which will lead to very difficult attitudes and actions…

Conflict is difficult. Empathy is difficult. And yet we get nowhere if we cannot find common ground with our fellows, family and community. Diverse conditions apply, and if we are lucky we welcome diversity without prejudice? Indeed, our near family and ancestors are full of prejudice. The good fortune for me today: freedom to be me, and freedom to welcome diversity and truth. Open-mindedness is key to survival, courage to change, faith in doing the right thing and enough self-esteem to challenge and at the same time make sure I check out what I'm doing with people I know who have integrity today…

Alcoholics Anonymous DonInLondon "Step Six Collection" June 23 2013

Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 Steps AA, AA Step 6, Addiction And Recovery, DonInLondon, Don Oddy,

No comments: