Monday 19 December 2011

December 19 | AA 12 Steps In Action |

December 19 | AA 12 Steps In Action |







In the world of fierce competition, work hard play hard were the touchstones. Wine women and song seemed to be the answer, until it turned into vodka, isolation and misery. Now in fellowship, loving and cherishing women and singing occasionally. Enduring friendships with men and women prevail and I never say never to one special love again. Open to life and open to love, be loved and… just for today…



Dear higher power, a friend of mine did the chair last night. He shared his journey, AA for sobriety and then the lid came off, what now? A journey: into mysticism, religion and philosophy by a great intellect. Enlightenment came; AA is for emotional and spiritual living. Feeling able to cope with reality, to love and be loved, useful for today. A whole day with freedom to choose…



When the game is up, the job is lost and those around us know, I don’t feel anonymity helps. It can keep us shut and locked into shame and guilt. Anonymity in fellowship is there to keep us safe long term yes, maybe? Sobriety is a key to unlocking the door to everything where outside help is often very necessary…



DonInLondon 2005-2010



December 19 2010 ~ forgive everyone everything and then I can be forgiving towards myself. And yes there are consequences to everything I have done and may do. If I am unable to forgive myself, my self-prejudice will lead to prejudice against others. No blame, no shame keeps me sober and learning today, consequences always...





December 19 2010 ~ secrets keep us stuck in the dark, shame and guilt. Even now I can feel the need to bend the truth, elaborate on the mundane, make my story bigger or smaller to illustrate a point. If and when I do this, I feel the cold ice of fear creep into my bones. Courage, faith and confidence in truth keeps me on track today...





UNDERSTANDING THE MALADY when dealing with an alcoholic, there may be a natural annoyance that a man could be so weak, stupid and irresponsible. Even when you understand the malady better, you may feel this feeling rising. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 139



Having suffered from alcoholism, I should understand the illness, but sometimes I feel annoyance, even contempt, toward a person who cannot make it in A.A. When I feel that way, I am satisfying my false sense of superiority and I must remember, but for the grace of God, there go I.

-/-

No comments: