Thursday 1 December 2011

December 1 | AA 12 Steps In Action |

December 1 | AA 12 Steps In Action |









All the steps have helped me cut away the “dead wood thinking, and heartbreak feelings” and keep the solid foundation of who I am and have been becoming. Space to grow and learn, indeed the greatest gift is learning life day to day. As others grow I learn from them. Emotional and spiritual, knowing how I feel in the moment of now, always the best starting point each day…



December daily reflections focus on step 12. "Step 12: Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs." I was laughing at myself recently, I am becoming an old man, and a love affair is still possible I am told. Starting with love of life, cherishing people as they are, and realising we need never say never… at the same time beware the thirteenth step!



DonInLondon 2005-2010



December 1 2010 ~ "suggested" was so important to me. For years I had been out of control and not able to function. The last thing I wanted in recovery was to be bound up in rules and regulations or worse, be told what to do. Suggestions, 12 steps to help me be unique and authentic, which work giving me freedom and choices for today...



December 1 2010 ~ when it was suggested I needed to quit drinking, I was angry and resentful. Drink had made it possible to survive a horrible life, and now a fellowship to help me stop! In the end I realised my plight, and it was suggestions which helped me let go what was killing me. Steady sober progress works for me just for a day...



AA Daily Reflections ~ "SUGGESTED" STEPS ~ Our Twelfth Step also says that as a result of practicing all the Steps, we have each found something called a spiritual awakening. . . A.A.’s manner of making ready to receive this gift lies in the practice of the Twelve Steps in our program. TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 106-107



I remember my sponsor’s answer when I told him that the Steps were “suggested.” He replied that they are “suggested” in the same way that, if you were to jump out of an airplane with a parachute, it is “suggested” that you pull the ripcord to save your life. He pointed out that it was “suggested” I practice the Twelve Steps, if I wanted to save my life. So I try to remember daily that I have a whole program of recovery based on all Twelve of the “suggested" steps..."

-/-

No comments: