Sunday 10 June 2012

June 10 2012 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 6 Spiritual Willingness Alcoholics

June 10 2012 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 6 Spiritual Willingness Alcoholics Anonymous Today's AA daily reflection: "impatience…" Impatience leading to anger and frustration about other people, places and things! Often we want to get somewhere, be somewhere and then when we get there, we realise we are in the wrong place with the wrong people doing the wrong things…

Enter video caption here

First I need to learn patience with myself and remind through whatever means to take time to reflect about where I am headed next. A snap decision in the moment may lead to a wonderful result for me, but what about the people around me and the impact it has on them? I can be so single-minded I don't take account of my impact on others and what seems logical and write to me can be completely wrong for everybody else…

The more we are part of fellowship, a family, a community and society with particular boundaries around actions and behaviour, we can fall very short in the consultation process. Selfish without realising it, self-centred without realising it and self obsessed to the point where we expect everybody to understand how wonderful our ideas are. And why on earth do they not get what we say and do…?

I can remember in my early days of recovery, wanting to be 90 days sober and declare it loudly as everybody does? No, not everybody does! And I wanted all the AA chips in my first year and looked forward to all the other chips on an annual basis, everybody does? No not everybody does! When people said, "I wish you a slow recovery" I know now what they mean, the years are truly going by quickly…

AA Daily Reflections ~ "IMPATIENT? TRY LEVITATING.. We reacted more strongly to frustrations than normal people. AS BILL SEES IT, p. 111

Impatience with other people is one of my principal failings. Following a slow car in a no-passing lane, or waiting in a restaurant for the check, drives me to distraction. Before I give God a chance to slow me down, I explode, and that’s what I call being quicker than God. That repeated experience gave me an idea. I thought if I could look down on these events from God’s point of view, I might better control my feelings and behavior. I tried it and when I encountered the next slow driver, I levitated and looked down on the other car and upon myself. I saw an elderly couple driving along, happily chatting about their grandchildren. They were followed by me-bug eyed and red of face-who had no time schedule to meet anyway. I looked so silly that I dropped back into reality and slowed down. Seeing things from God’s angle of vision can be very relaxing..."

DonInLondon 2005-2011

Hurt people hurt people. Watching a survivor of violence interview describe how they faced their attacker and found forgiveness is truly remarkable. This is not always the outcome. I do know I had a complete breakdown because of bullying in adult life. A bully nearly made me a bully, hurt people do hurt people. Today I see the breakdown, became a breakthrough, and only took a decade to get there!

Indeed we do have the ability to hold conflicting attitudes and inconsistent views at the same time. And because we are human, we are pulled both ways in what we feel and what we actually do when confronted with the horror of abuse. Knowing what is utterly right to do does not mean others ever play fair. We can set process in action to correct wrong situations even though we may never change the outlook of other people. That is their burden and not ours... We cannot live in hate, it is not in our nature, big hug and love xxx

Love people hate their behaviour? I learned to hate myself for being weak and unable to stop drinking, and whatever I did it was always about overcoming a weakness and relying on willpower. Willpower kept me silent, isolated and determined and kept me drinking. Fellowship taught me love and forgiveness, humanised me and freed me...

Step 6 "Spiritual Willingness" Reading Video Link:

Step Six Reading

wrongs. Chapter 6, Into Action, Big Book From: Page 72 Thru: Page 75, the bottom of the page. 12 And 12 Step 5."

-/-

June ~ Video Reading Chapter Six Into Action Link:

Chapter Six Into Action

I do not speak for Alcoholics Anonymous I speak for myself. Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of unique and authentic people who speak for themselves where they will to share experience, strength and hope about recovery on a daily basis. Anonymity affords

sanctuary to find how to live sober and be open, honest and willing to learn life day by day. For me "truth," "love" and "wisdom" offer the best spiritual experience by living reality today. Into the fabric of recovery from alcoholism are woven the Twelve Steps and the

Twelve Traditions, steps to be open, honest and willing to learn, traditions to live unity, service and recovery.

-/-

Spiritual principles ~ Forgiveness Acceptance Surrender Faith Open-mindedness Honesty Willingness Moral-inventory Amends Humility Persistence Spiritual-growth Service

-/-

No comments: