Friday 25 May 2012

May 25 2012 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 5 Admit And Accept Alcoholics Anonymous

May 25 2012 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 5 Admit And Accept | Alcoholics Anonymous Today's AA daily reflection: "progressive gratitude…" Oddly I can understand the idea of progressive gratitude even when life experiences can be unfortunate or not preferred. Often we seem to learn most out of adverse situations about what will tip us over the edge into old behaviour and thinking… The solution often is between an old automatic reaction and a pause for a new response today…

Takes a while to start to learn about the virtues of step six and step seven. Contingent on the day I ask for help all the steps work in our twelve step program. In step six I am reminded that all my defects of character are available to me on a daily basis, it is not so much I can't let them go, they just pop up naturally when the pressure comes on good or bad. And step seven, developing my shortcomings or lack of courage, faith and confidence is a daily endeavour always…

Progression into the unknown! Every new moment is going to happen and how I cope on a daily basis becomes an opportunity to learn more about how I am as a human being. It is not analysis to the point of paralysis, and it doesn't take much time to weigh up what is going on with my mood and my thinking and my actions. Knowing how I feel in the moment of now ensures I'm aware how my thinking is developing and what actions may follow as a result just for today…

I would love to write a book about how to keep it simple, "keep it simple" is a much used phrase in recovery. And writing a book about how to keep it simple will make it complicated because it requires a lot of elaborate and extended thinking which complicates it further. Keeping it simple, is being aware of my feelings and mood, the impact on my thinking and the actions that follow… Mood, thinking and action is very simple and does not require a book to be written today…

DonInLondon 2005-2011

Enlightenment! I remember a friend in a leadership course saying we need endarkenment as much as enlightenment and no such word exists. Dark and Light moments are always with us, memories... in the moment we can cherish and find good in all endeavours today...

Words we become accustomed to in recovery. For example, "humility" meaning we open ourselves to new learning every day. And "gratitude" meaning we see the good of what is, rather than what we want. Learning and acceptance of life on life's terms today...

Progress through action is key: to change our outlook and ways of living. Confidence to keep an open mind, try something new without knowing the outcome... Trusting we will learn as we go, we will trip, stub our toes, laugh at ourselves and share our journey with our fellows... choices today

Sharing happiness, sharing sadness, sharing... Twelve step recovery is timeless, works in the moment, becomes a way of living to good choices and spiritual freedom... Driven mad one moment, restored to sanity the next as we share our experience, strength and hope... acceptance of reality

AA Daily Reflections ~ "PROGRESSIVE GRATITUDE... Gratitude should go forward, rather than backward. AS BILL SEES IT, p. 29

I am very grateful that my Higher Power has given me a second chance to live a worthwhile life. Through Alcoholics Anonymous, I have been restored to sanity. The promises are being fulfilled in my life. I am grateful to be free from the slavery of alcohol. I am grateful for peace of mind and the opportunity to grow, but my gratitude should go forward rather than backward. I cannot stay sober on yesterday's meetings or past Twelfth-Step calls; I need to put my gratitude into action today. Our co-founder said our gratitude can best be shown by carrying the message to others. Without action, my gratitude is just a pleasant emotion. I need to put it into action by working Step Twelve, by carrying the message and practicing the principles in all my affairs. I am grateful for the chance to carry the message today!"

"The A.A. Steps & Traditions are neither rules, regulations, nor laws. Perhaps the secret of their power lies in the fact that these life-giving communications spring out of living experience and are rooted in love." 1. A.A. COMES OF AGE, P. 105." "We find it amazing that the newcomer can start the A.A. program without any specific beliefs or, for that matter, without any beliefs whatsoever. All a person needs is the open-mindedness and the willingness to believe that WE BELIEVE this program works..."

Spiritual principles to live life "real" ~ "Forgiveness" "Acceptance" "Surrender" "Faith" "Open-mindedness" "Honesty" "Willingness" "Moral-inventory" "Amends" "Humility" "Persistence" "Spiritual-growth" "Service"

Step 5 "Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs."

Alcoholics Anonymous Videos, DonInLondon, Life Works In Recovery, Addiction And Recovery Videos, Alcoholic, Alcoholism

Alcoholics Anonymous Video | DonInLondon | Life Works In Recovery |

Words we become accustomed to in recovery. For example, “humility” meaning we open ourselves to new learning every day. And “gratitude” meaning we see the good of what is, rather than what we want. Learning and acceptance of life on life’s terms today…

Progress through action is key: to change our outlook and ways of living. Confidence to keep an open mind, try something new without knowing the outcome... Trusting we will learn as we go, we will trip, stub our toes, laugh at ourselves and share our journey with our fellows... choices today

Sharing happiness, sharing sadness, sharing... Twelve step recovery is timeless, works in the moment, becomes a way of living to good choices and spiritual freedom... Driven mad one moment, restored to sanity the next as we share our experience, strength and hope... acceptance of reality

AA Daily Reflections ~ "PROGRESSIVE GRATITUDE... Gratitude should go forward, rather than backward. AS BILL SEES IT, p. 29

I am very grateful that my Higher Power has given me a second chance to live a worthwhile life. Through Alcoholics Anonymous, I have been restored to sanity. The promises are being fulfilled in my life. I am grateful to be free from the slavery of alcohol. I am grateful for peace of mind and the opportunity to grow, but my gratitude should go forward rather than backward. I cannot stay sober on yesterday’s meetings or past Twelfth-Step calls; I need to put my gratitude into action today. Our co-founder said our gratitude can best be shown by carrying the message to others. Without action, my gratitude is just a pleasant emotion. I need to put it into action by working Step Twelve, by carrying the message and practicing the principles in all my affairs. I am grateful for the chance to carry the message today!"

-/-

May 25 2007

Morning and Feeling Brighter

After last night and the “hypo”, a particularly unpleasant incident for me as a Type 1 Diabetic, I feel brighter this morning. Headache abated in the early hours and then some sleep. Ironically I slept well for a change, no railway works outside my window. And the detached feeling which comes with a loss of sensibility is still with me this morning. Another lucky escape from a coma, or just another day in the life?

When we have ailments which can leave us completely vulnerable and in a near panic attack, I always seem to come through just in time. And I guess the writing may stop when I don’t. Living alone there is really nothing anyone can do if the hypo runs its course and I go unconscious. So there we are. It can make me feel breathless and anxious sometimes when I do fail to treat a hypo in time. Waking after is just a relief.

A hypo and a not yet for me. Not yet dead. Diabetes used to be called the silent killer. These days as we are all now self managing the condition, well it’s always a bit of a worry when we lose it. And no one there to help. Fortunately for me the signs were pretty clear and quick for me last night, so I responded quickly. Now my sugar levels are much too high and the game of balancing the sugar, the exercise, the food intake, the insulin dose, waiting for less confused thinking and a whole bunch of feelings which are not so good. A close call, and never sure sometimes what may happen.

Past Day or Two

I guess the trips down memory lane are not so pleasant when we look at the disasters rather than the happier recollections.

Love

I have loved and been loved. Passion has been so powerful I would and did go to the ends of this earth with love and passion in my mind. So strong in all feelings we humans are often taken aback by our own resolute and steadfast belief in love, we do go to the extremes we might see as great and good. I have gratitude and humility these days. That I could be loved. And happy to know this is not lost over time, the ability to connect and feel love and share with authenticity and unconditionally.

Now

It’s a bit of a haze, where love is, where I am, where it may lead. I am most careful these days to keep the right size in my human doings, as well as being. Circumspect and most careful, with truth as my companion, love is all there is. Friendships and level heads a day at a time stop me running into imagined and then unhappy trails where we are left high and dry. Straight and honest lets friendship out and as we gain confidence in who we are, it can take years I can attest. As to romance, that bridge back to ordinary living in that extraordinary state, is a slow and steady process. As to what may happen, love will always have its power and way, even in a day? More likely in a split second a decision made will change life completely..

Today

Some things to do this morning and then hopefully back with clearer thoughts and feelings tonight. Small and useful tasks. To ensure care of me, keep to careful and routines.

A friend of mine has a situation very complicated and yet most easily resolved. Care and concern for family is paramount I realise after we both got bogged down in what to do. When we are friends it’s not me the counsellor or advisor, it’s me thinking and feeling what is right for my friend as my friend puts most everything family before their own happiness. And yet they want their happiness back too. Quite rightly.

I guess even with a confused head my suggestion to them has been to enquire from those who need support how they might like it to be. And as they are a great distance away, the support needs to be only as a family can resolve. Based on feelings and support and care. So it is I guess a duty of care which has made a whole raft of problems quite overwhelming. And when there is capital at stake I guess it’s easy to get into the material and forget the spiritual which really is the key. A situation based on family love and filial connection, it needs to remain so I feel and this is where my friend is too. The how is yet to be worked out of course, and it will work out as the spiritual path makes the direction and pace just so.

So the solution is simple, let go and help informed choices through asking the right questions about the right issues. That is health and welfare. We cannot go so far off the track if we keep to our prime role as supporter and helper as this was and is the key in family stuff.

Other matters kept confusing us I feel, anyway we shall no doubt discuss again. The outcome is not for me to share. And after all this journal is all about me?

Why

Because I may not speak on or behalf of anyone of course. This is a personal journey and you and I need be general when it comes to others and their living, specific and challenging when it is mine.

Fair and Open

We all are better for open and honest living. So often we squander time and effort hiding in denials and worse secrets which gnaw at our innards. The truth of life will out always, as we are less able to hide it from others even when we try hide it from ourselves.

Till later…

-/-

AA Official Site Daily Reflections

AA Official Online Site: Big Book And Twelve And Twelve

-/-

"Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs. Chapter 6, Into Action, Big Book From: Page 72 Thru: Page 75, the bottom of the page. 12 And 12 Step 5."

May ~ All About Step Five:" Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs"

Step 5 "Admit And Accept" Reading Video Link:

Enter video caption here

-/-

May ~ Video Reading Chapter Six Into Action Link:

Enter video caption here

I do not speak for Alcoholics Anonymous I speak for myself. Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of unique and authentic people who speak for themselves where they will to share experience, strength and hope about recovery on a daily basis. Anonymity affords

sanctuary to find how to live sober and be open, honest and willing to learn life day by day. For me "truth," "love" and "wisdom" offer the best spiritual experience by living reality today. Into the fabric of recovery from alcoholism are woven the Twelve Steps and the

Twelve Traditions, steps to be open, honest and willing to learn, traditions to live unity, service and recovery.

-/-

Spiritual principles ~ Forgiveness Acceptance Surrender Faith Open-mindedness Honesty Willingness Moral-inventory Amends Humility Persistence Spiritual-growth Service

-/-

No comments: