Monday 26 March 2012

March 26 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 3 | 2012 | Alcoholics Anonymous

March 26 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 3 "Let Go" | 2012 | Alcoholics Anonymous Today's AA daily reflection: "our learning is never over…" The quote actually reads "the teaching is never over." I am not a teacher, I am a learner and I learn with you and together we make progress and we are not perfect or qualified beyond the moment of now…



Every day in recovery we trudge the road of destiny. The road of destiny can be guess work, can be planned, cannot be planned or the road is "what it is..." The saying, "the blind leading the blind" might be applicable if we were unable to keep learning what works today and what does not work today. Our emotional and spiritual path, where my emotions fit my situation in the moment of now offer the best opportunity to learn. If I'm sober I can learn more about life and living it making progress today…



How I understand the difference between being "a learner" and being "a teacher" is important for me. If I say I am a teacher, I'm likely to try and teach you. If I am a learner, I'm likely to be learning with you. And this fits with my understanding of humility and having the capacity to keep learning life, letting go old ideas, attitudes and actions and being willing to listen and develop new attitudes and actions and keep changing and adapting as life changes every day…



"It works if you work it, so work it you're worth it!" This is sometimes added to the serenity prayer at the end of the meetings here in London UK. Some people are happy with the serenity prayer and do not add this particular sentence. Grant me the serenity, to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference. And I don't mind these days adding it works if you work it, so work it you're worth it. It reminds me when I let go the old ways, I need to work on new ways of life in all that life offers today…



We cannot learn and adopt new attitudes and behaviour from simply reading, listening and watching. Adopting new attitudes and behaviour requires practice, not to be perfect, simply to learn by doing, by feeling and engaging in living in the moment of now. Someone said recently in a meeting, "I had to stop thinking and start living again." Understanding our feelings is crucial to coping with reality and although we might try think and analyse everything before doing it does lead to paralysis and no action if there is no practice. A bit like knowing the answer and how it should be: but having no practical skills to get there. Fellowship is learning as we go just for today…





DonInLondon 2005-2011



Fellowship.. similarities in experience, strength and hope develop unity and recovery ~ Voltaire "Is there anyone so wise as to learn by the experience of others?" -/- Learning by living our lives we experience what we can and cannot do and share wisdom to know the difference ...



"We win half the battle when we make up our minds to take the world as we find it, including the thorns."- Orison Swett Marden



I woke up, said the serenity prayer, can do, cannot do, tripped over my wisdom to know the difference and said it again! ~ Louis L'Amour "A body shouldn't heed what might be. He's got to do with what is" -/- Step one.. step two.. step three and serenity, let go and let good, now I smile gently ...



Open To Truth, Love And Wisdom of Others [we let go having to be right, self obsessed and self medicating our lives away into oblivion and harms way]

-/-

AA Daily Reflection: Daily Reflections ~ THE TEACHING IS NEVER OVER Abandon yourself to God as you understand God. Admit your faults to Him and to your fellows. Clear away the wreckage of your past. Give freely of what you find and join us. We shall be with you in the Fellowship of the Spirit, and you will surely meet some of us as you trudge the Road of Happy Destiny. May God bless you and keep you — until then. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 164



These words put a lump in my throat each time I read them. In the beginning it was because I felt, “Oh no! The teaching is over. Now I’m on my own. It will never be this new again.” Today I feel deep affection for the A.A. pioneers when I read this passage, realizing that it sums up all of what I believe in, and strive for, and that — with God’s blessing — the teaching is never over, I’m never on my own, and every day is brand new.

-/-



As Bill Sees It ~ True Independence of the Spirit The more we become willing to depend upon a Higher Power, the more independent we actually are. Therefore, dependence as A.A. practices it is really a means of gaining true independence of the spirit. At the level of everyday living, it is startling to discover how dependent we really are, and how unconscious of that dependence.



Every modern house has electric wiring carrying power and light to its interior. By accepting with delight our dependence upon this marvel of science, we find ourselves personally more independent, more comfortable and secure. Power flows just where it is needed. Silently and surely, electricity, that strange energy so few people understand, meets our simplest daily needs. Though we readily accept this principle of healthy dependence in many of our temporal affairs, we often fiercely resist the identical principle when asked to apply it as means of growth in the life of the spirit. Clearly, we shall never know freedom under God until we try to seek His will for us. The choice is ours. TWELVE AND TWELVE, P. 36

-/-

Step 3 "Let Go" Reading Video Link:



"Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him"

-/-

No comments: