Tuesday 24 January 2012

January 24 | AA 12 Steps In Action | 2012 |

January 24 | AA 12 Steps In Action | 2012 | Wonderful lunchtime meeting of the fellowship yesterday at the Methodist Church on the Kings road here in London: uplifting gave me a feeling of happiness and serenity. The chair all about how the twelve steps work and translate into living truthfully day by day by being open, honest and willing to keep learning one day to time. All about having the humility to keep learning and being ourselves making progress and not trying to be perfect…



And today a trip out with my sister: to see the "Hockney Exhibition" at the Royal Academy in Piccadilly. To be with my sister, courtesy of a wonderful friend helping me with other matters allowed us to see and enjoy the exhibition and then pop over the road to Fortnum and Mason to buy marmalade for my mum. A beautiful and humbling experience in all respects: and an appreciation of an artist's work. Balanced and level feelings, exciting moments and much laughter, I feel really good on this grim rainy day…



Today's daily reflection all about unity, service and recovery: Mainly focusing on service. Practising these principles in all my living means I get courage and faith, building my confidence daily by being helpful and not a hindrance to people in my life today…

Unity in fellowship translates to me being in the “big” community where I can be of service or simply be helpful when people need help. And recovery means I make free choices based on real life situations and can see more clearly what I can and cannot do today…



I must add that service in the community means I need understand there is a limit to how much I can do. Or I run the risk of being overwhelmed and overcommitted. It is difficult to say no, something Gandhi said, "an emphatic no is better than a half-hearted yes." Recovery is very much about balancing our activities on a daily basis, and "no" is a complete sentence…



In my early days in recovery I kept doing more and more service, there were elements of shame and guilt about past times where I could not see beyond my own dreadful situation and how it disturbed family and friends. Today I can say yes to the things in a balanced way and know when I have no energy or capacity to be of use or just useful to others…



DonInLondon 2005-2011



A long time ago I realised I do love deeply and at the same time can love and hate behaviour in me and others, now learning to cherish and forgive always.. ~ Emily Dickinson "Behaviour is what a man or woman does, not what he or she thinks, feels, or believes." -/- We all learn in our own time if time permits…

AA Daily: GETTING INVOLVED January 24 ~ There is action and more action. “Faith without works is dead.” . . . To be helpful is our only aim. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS , pp. 88-89



I understand that service is a vital part of recovery but I often wonder, “What can I do?” Simply start with what I have today! I look around to see where there is a need. Are the ashtrays full? Do I have hands and feet to empty them? Suddenly I’m involved! The best speaker may make the worst coffee; the member who’s best with newcomers may be unable to read; the one willing to clean up may make a mess of the bank account -yet every one of these people and jobs is essential to an active group. The miracle of service is this: when I use what I have, I find there is more available to me than I realized before.



-/-

No comments: