Wednesday 27 March 2013

Alcoholics Anonymous | March 27 2013 | Steps In Action | Step 3 "Your Higher Power"

Alcoholics Anonymous | March 27 2013 | Steps In Action | Step 3 "Your Higher Power" "stuck in our ways?" Some ways of life will not work anymore. And as individuals, families, communities and societies, we can see that the old ways needed to change. And to anyone in recovery, the old life, fuelled by alcohol and some personal, family, and society values of prejudice, fear, pride and ego would keep people in ignorance. Contempt prior to investigation: sticking to some traditions and beliefs lead to persistent prejudice, bigotry and for any individual, self-destruction…

Video For Today:

Alcoholics Anonymous DonInLondon "Tolerance And Love"

In recovery, I found it essential to let go some of my old values and beliefs about me and let go self-prejudice and the notion that I was a failure because I was like anybody else self-medicating with alcohol, it led to addiction and self-destruction. Maybe I had to let go quite a few things, society believing the alcoholism is self-inflicted wound. That my father was right, alcohol was a sharpener of the wits, especially before starting a long car journey as a driver, and that drowning your sorrows was the best way forward when I couldn't cope. I continually practice to let go being swamped and drowned in fear, pride and ego. I do prefer asking for help when I need it, courage to change when I need to, developing faith in doing the next right thing and improving my confidence by learning, making mistakes and trying new ways when old ways don't work…

 

A friend made a comment about my higher power the other day, they were very happy that I could not define God. And that for as many people as there are on the planet, each person has their own understanding of God, somewhat similar to many, and yet if we were to be able to ask everyone, there would be substantial differences, and still enough similarities for God to be a higher power. The more I have studied what, who, where God works, it seems God works through people who have tolerance and love, that God is truth, love and wisdom in the moment of now. When there is intolerance and prejudice against anyone anywhere for their beliefs and opinions which undermine tolerance and love for one another, that is not God working through people, that is people with prejudice, bigotry and hatred of their fellow human beings on the planet. In recovery, each person follows their path, free of alcohol, there is a great freedom and a greater power manifested. With tolerance and love, humility and equality I have found progress is more profound and nobody is perfect in their assumptions about living life, and certainly not making assumptions based on old ideas about how other people should live their lives today…

 

If we are looking for a higher power to save us, awaiting a lightning bolt from the sky to show us the way, that we are entitled, and expecting a miracle on an individual basis, we are probably missing the miracle. Finding a fellowship and being part of the fellowship which suggests we get our personal freedom of choice back if we can find out how to be sober one day at a time, that for me is a miracle. Prayer, meditation is very worthy and practical, we ask for guidance, we share the need for guidance, and often by meditation and prayer, we do find answers. I have always found prayer, meditation to be valuable in helping me put my feelings and thinking into perspective. And having got that far, prayer and meditation, then sharing my feelings and thoughts with another human being, or in fellowship, or in the congregation of people with common sense and gumption, the answers seem to multiply as the questions and wisdom is shared with everyone… And then I find my higher power is working through others who can help me find my path today…

 

The Polish astronomer Nicholas Copernicus (1473-1543) never liked the Earth-based view of the universe, yet he never publicly announced his views until he was old. This was due to the Church -- anyone who opposed Church doctrine was branded a heretic, and that would destroy your reputation, put you in prison, or even sentence you to death. Depending upon your belief system back in the day, you could be sentenced to death for being a heretic, and still today, with all the ravages of nature and human intolerance, we can still be sentenced to death by the intolerance and hateful beliefs that some humans have about other humans. And worse, in the past, many people have perished because of their own prejudice about themselves and I was nearly one of them. I needed to learn to ask for help from the right people, in the right place at the right time. And when it came to needing to learn about recovery from addiction, Alcoholics Anonymous proved to be the best place to develop humility, and keep on asking for help, which I received in the main, without any prejudice at all…

 

And, as I mentioned yesterday, a modern thinking believer with a strong religious connection helped me start my day. I have no idea how their strong religious connection works for them, it does work. And I'm grateful for their wisdom and their friendship. Am I about to convert to their understanding of God? Of course I am open, honest and willing to listen, at the same time I am happy where I am and feel love and respect from many people of many different faiths and beliefs. The ultimate freedom is to develop our own understanding of God, or to be an atheist or an agnostic. None of these positions need undermine the other. If we have tolerance and love, seek the truth as we can understand it, and accept it, love one another and keep on learning the wisdom of life. There are powers far greater than me of nature and of providence, I am simply grateful for the wisdom of the many who help me one day at a time…

 

Integrity, open honest and willing, seeking the truth: tolerance and love always for those who share these values. When there is intolerance and hatred, when there are influences which are closed down, and non-negotiable, dishonest and unwilling, who do not seek the truth, most people who are moderate are appalled and shrink away from that evil. In fellowship we recognise our similarities and diversity in the main. And yet there are those who would diminish each other in their judgement of beliefs and opinions and would countenance a death sentence for an individual who cannot be compliant to their personal views. Thank goodness in recovery, the similarities and the diversity of our fellowship diminishes these situations and occurrences most days, and hopefully today…

 

How am I feeling? I feel very fortunate that I have let go self-prejudice. I feel very fortunate to live where I live, and that there are many people around me who have tolerance and love, can live their lives in an open, honest and willing manner, so they can keep on learning the truth of now. Just about every religion is represented in my hometown. Just about every ethnic background is represented and living together in tolerance and love. Just about every political view, belief system, sexual orientation between consenting adults is also tolerated by those with an open honest and willing outlook. Some people simply live differently. And yet, although they live differently, the similarities are profound, they wish to live with truth, love and wisdom developing in the moment of now. My father would have found the world and my hometown very difficult with his beliefs and opinions. If only he… He came out of a different age. And we are living in a new age, and it may be just for today, I just feel better knowing that there is more tolerance and love than ever before. And that my spiritual journey, helps me keep on learning how to be a real human being on a spiritual path, and learning how to be myself. Just for a day…

 

One of our cofounders reminded our fellowship about rules, regulations and laws. There are no rules, regulations and laws, there are suggestions. Why? Judge not, lest ye be judged. and Judge not, that ye be not judged. If you condemn other people, then they will have the right to condemn you… As we find in modern times, the same applies. All this is part of learning to be a human being, and as we learn how to be a human being, we will still develop our own personal choices and how to live. I hope today I do not get in the way of your progress in becoming the human being, you can be. I have no power over you. And with tolerance and love, if we all have tolerance and love, life works far better without prejudice. Today…

 

 

Alcoholics Anonymous | March 27 2012 | Steps In Action | Step 3 "Your Higher Power" Today's AA daily reflection: "AA's freedoms…" As Bill one of the cofounders wrote, "we trust that we already know what our several freedoms truly are; ... And that there are no mandates laws or commandments in our fellowship." If our Fellowship was anything other than anarchic democracy I doubt I would have stayed and found sobriety…

Video For Today:

2009 - 2012

 

I have always found that truth works when I work at it. I have to let go what I think I know and what I've learned which can be full of prejudice towards myself and towards others. Self-prejudice in the end caught me in a spiral of 24 7 drinking, isolation and a desperately desolate existence. Fellowship provided me with a way to find the truth of my situation daily, how to be loved and love back and useful in whatever way a person finds in recovery…

Contingent on the day I ask for help and let go my old attitudes and behaviour, I keep on making progress to be able to feel life as it is in the moment. Every feeling is valid, and when they are at extremes that is when I need ask for help most, because I cannot keep feeling extremes without creating more anxiety and the likelihood of hiding and pretending I am okay, when I am not. Pretence and falsehoods will only gnaw deep and create fear, when there is no need. I need never be alone again…

Let go, asking for help in a practical way when I don't know the answers, does not mean I will get the answers. I will get a broader perspective, and the solution may take some time. Fear, ego and pride will keep me in everlasting ignorance I have heard it said. And I have found that to be true. Let go is one action and incomplete without asking for help, the second action which illuminates and helps me get guidance from any power greater than me. And there are many to ask and some will help me find the solutions day by day by day…

Every single step in the twelve step program is practical and has impact every day. Indeed we need experience of life for the twelve steps to be relevant and for us to learn how they work. The steps keep me in tune with my life as I live it today and it is not about knowing the answers before the questions become obvious. Life is serendipity and full of change and if I do not hold to expectations or feeling I deserve something, like really works and can be lived to the full…

-/-

DonInLondon 2005-2011

If we could see ourselves as others see us, if we could listen as others hear us, if we could feel the impact we have as others feel our impact. The gentle art of feedback, in fellowship we learn to be open, honest and willing, finding out who we are becoming today..

Fellowship where freedom of choice is paramount in sober living, keeps us honest, and willing to change ~ Nelson Mandela "Let freedom reign. The sun never to set on so glorious a human achievement" -/- Unity Service and Recovery, let go and let good, in truth we trust, good for today…

We learn to let go and let good. A daily practice in living twelve steps as we encounter experiences which need us to be forgiving of ourselves and others. Good conscience develops our awareness. Acceptance is our action to free up our choices and 'Keeping Life Real' ~ Hannah Arendt "Forgiveness is the key to action and freedom"

-/-

AA Daily Reflection: A.A.'s FREEDOMS We trust that we already know what our several freedoms truly are; that no future generation of AA’s will ever feel compelled to limit them. Our AA freedoms create the soil in which genuine love can grow. . . . LANGUAGE OF THE HEART, p. 303

I craved freedom. First, freedom to drink; later, freedom from drink. The A.A. program of recovery rests on a foundation of free choice. There are no mandates, laws or commandments. A.A.’s spiritual program, as outlined in the Twelve Steps, and by which I am offered even greater freedoms, is only suggested. I can take it or leave it. Sponsorship is offered, not forced, and I come and go as I will. It is these and other freedoms that allow me to recapture the dignity that was crushed by the burden of drink, and which is so dearly needed to support an enduring sobriety.

-/-

As Bill Sees It ~ Daily Reprieve We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition.

We of A.A. obey spiritual principles, at first because we must, then because we ought to, and ultimately because we love the kind of life such obedience brings. Great suffering and great love are A.A.'s disciplinarians; we need no others.

-/-

Just For Today, and every day cherish always...

-----------------------------------------

AA Official Online Site: Daily Reflections

http://www.aa.org/lang/en/aareflections.cfm

AA Official Online Site: Big Book And Twelve And Twelve

http://www.aa.org/lang/en/subpage.cfm?page=359

No comments: