Monday 23 April 2012

April 23 2012 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 4 "Inventory" | Alcoholics Anonymous

April 23 2012 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 4 "Inventory" | Alcoholics Anonymous Today's AA daily reflection: "AA is not a cure all…" Yes indeed, AA is not a cure-all, at the same time I have found that Fellowship provides twelve steps towards freedom of choice based on reality as it is on any given day in any given moment…

Whatever path we choose which keeps us sober is worth exploring. Just because the Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous works for me, it does not mean automatically that it is going to work for you. You and I have many similarities if you are an alcoholic. As one can read, one Co-founder, Bill, realised there are many elements to living in recovery and being able to maintain recovery one day at a time. In my own experience, "keeping it simple" on a daily basis, often means that getting to the solution of sobriety can be quite complicated...

Why does the emotional and spiritual program of the twelve steps work? It works every day, because the twelve steps have helped me understand my feelings which drive my thinking and my actions. Encounters on a daily basis are more understandable when we know and recognise how we are feeling, how feeling impacts on our thinking and what actions follow. And spiritual is living reality in the imperfectly perfect moment of now, and it matters not whether I believe in God, or I am an atheist or an agnostic. I am responsible for my actions in sobriety, and often I need let go and ask the help in any given moment…

Step four, helping me to deal with past emotional knots and tangles so deep I just suppressed everything, has helped me perceive and then find serenity is possible every day. And the serenity I experience is based on understanding the serenity prayer, to God or in good conscience as you choose as an individual, "grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Contingent on this reminder in any given moment, serenity is the experience I have and hopefully most of today…


DonInLondon 2005-2011

Step 4: "Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves." We want to uncover the truth about ourselves. We want to discover the attitudes, thoughts, beliefs, fears, actions, behaviours, and the behaviour patterns - that have been blocking us, causing us problems and causing our failure.

Open To Truth, Love And Wisdom of Others [we let go being righteous, self obsessed and self medicating our lives into oblivion]
-/-
Spiritual principles ~ Forgiveness Acceptance Surrender Faith Open-mindedness Honesty Willingness Moral-inventory Amends Humility Persistence Spiritual-growth Service
-/-
AA Daily Reflection: AA IS NOT A CURE-ALL... It would be a product of false pride to claim that A.A. is a cure-all, even for alcoholism. As Bill Sees It, p285
In my early years of sobriety I was full of pride, thinking that A.A. was the only source of treatment for a good and happy life. It certainly was the basic ingredient for my sobriety and even today, with over twelve years in the program, I am very involved in meetings, sponsorship and service. During the first four years of my recovery, I found it necessary to seek professional help, since my emotional health was extremely poor. There are those folks too, who have found sobriety and happiness in other organizations. A.A. taught me that I had a choice: to go to any lengths to enhance my sobriety. A.A. may not be a cure-all for everything, but it is the centre of my sober living.
-/-
Step 4 "Fearless Inventory" Reading Video Link:

"Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves"
-/-
I do not speak for Alcoholics Anonymous I speak for myself. Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of unique and authentic people who speak for themselves where they will to share experience, strength and hope about recovery on a daily basis. Anonymity affords sanctuary to find how to live sober and be open, honest and willing to learn life day by day. For me "truth," "love" and "wisdom" offer the best spiritual experience by living reality today. Into the fabric of recovery from alcoholism are woven the Twelve Steps and the Twelve Traditions, steps to be open, honest and willing to learn, traditions to live unity, service and recovery.
-/-

No comments: