Thursday 5 June 2014

Alcoholics Anonymous Blog & Video | June 5 2014

Alcoholics Anonymous Blog & Video | June 5 2014

 

June 5 Video

Somebody said yesterday that step six and step seven are so important, and somehow these particular steps get forgotten. I cannot understand how they can be forgotten, step six is the start of a revolution in ourselves on the road of emotional and spiritual development.

 

Step six: all of step six defects, which start with emotions: in my case, pride, ego and fear can lead me into extreme feelings, and anger often leads to resentment in no time at all. Defects of character? Simply, it does depend on asking for help to understand how we behave. Sometimes we behave badly as we react to the reality of now. Reality, if we can cope and deal with reality, experience these defects of character which will come up every day, we will learn how to let go of our own self-righteousness and see our mistakes in handling situations. We need to make mistakes, or actually we need to live life, and know not only that we are learning how to cope, so is the rest of the world.

 

I cannot change my history. And my primary defect of self-harm, put me in a place of fear and desolation, which only started to change very gradually, and very painfully from day one of trying to be sober, and actually, accepting I needed sobriety. To admit and accept were key questions asked when I was in a particularly nasty rehab, which has closed down. Other people were asked to judge me and give an opinion of whether or not I admitted and accepted that I was an alcoholic. Step one, to admit and accept that I am an alcoholic, it is something I need do every day in sobriety, or I forget and then defects and the very worst one might happen because of my neglect.

 

When councillors encourage the inmates in a rehab to judge each other in their ability to admit and accept their addictions is a curious state of affairs. In my opinion, asking sick people to judge each other in their early days is not only tragic, it sets people against each other in a particularly dangerous environment. At the time, it seemed an infantile preoccupation which was done twice a week. And then I saw just how dangerous these particular activities are, damaging people, and some condemned themselves as a result. Looking back, in any other environment, it would be criminal to demean and undermine human beings in such a way. Councillors are not God, and should not offer Godlike judgement to those in need of help. We judge ourselves badly enough, and gossip and judgement are primary defects which kill people.

 

Present day: how am I feeling right now? I feel good, happy and content. Three phone calls from the local government people, wanting to arrange improvements to my environment. I have already arranged a medical appointment, and need to arrange two more. So I'm making progress! But I need to be careful, because I can procrastinate, get frustrated when the bastards don't answer the phone, and of course I can be a bastard too, and never answer my phone after 10:30 in the morning, I do this, or there would be no peace and no serenity in my abode! I can be a difficult "bastard," to get hold of any time of day… And being human, sometimes we need solitude and time to rest, or we would be no good to anyone anywhere at any time.

 

Step Six Video 12 And 12

Step Six Video 12 And 12

Alcoholics Anonymous Videos, AA is for Alcoholics, AA 12 Steps, Addiction And Recovery, DonInLondon, Don Oddy,

No comments: