Monday 8 July 2013

Alcoholics Anonymous | July 8 | DonInLondon | Step 7 "Courage To Change"

Contingent on the current conditions of the day, there can be balance in how we feel in the moment of now. Recently there was a great discussion about being happy, joyous and free. In my experience, happy, joyous and free does depend on the current conditions today. Feelings in the moment of now are generated by our current conditions internally within our heads and externally by what is happening. I was sharing about denial yesterday and it is true that everyone needs denial to hold on when there is something we cannot deal with in the moment of now.

Nasty shocks to the system, "I can't believe it." When we cannot believe something that is happening, we have the denial process immediately, feelings out of balance: anger, frustration and confusion, depression which can all roll over and over until we find acceptance of the truth. And even when we accept the truth the rollercoaster of feelings can take us back and forth not only once, the rollercoaster can go forward and backwards for many days, months and years. Hopefully whatever the shock was, eventually acceptance helps us find what we can cherish and keep hold of as we move along one day at a time…

Sometimes I see people from the Fellowship very busy and preoccupied outside meetings. Even saying hello can be difficult and distracting. This happened to me yesterday and for whatever reason I did not pick up on the signals and mind my own business. And apologies to you, if you read this and I'll say it when I see you next. And even in that encounter, I see my part in it and I'm not angry at myself and not angry in any shape or form. In the old days it would bother me greatly; today it's simply okay and a learning moment for me...

I can say I was at the meeting, and relate a little bit about it. How it impacted on me and how it helps me. A huge meeting and not very intimate or useful in some ways. But in other ways we connect one-to-one even when we are surrounded by over 100 or so people. Listening and being able to understand another human being and their story meant I felt compassion and sorrow. There were many other people I saw and wished I could have talked to them directly, there is never enough time before or after the meeting when the meeting is working as it may…

There's a song with the words: "you can't have one without the other." And with step seven in mind, step six is always part of the equation on a daily basis. Emotional and spiritual: feelings fitting with the moment of now. Sometimes feelings are being understood for the first time as we experience them in the moment. And those feelings go deep to places we never understood before, where love resides in all humans, our most cherished and often hidden or yet to be experienced feeling. Step seven is about the courage to change, faith in doing the next right thing and having enough self-confidence to have a go… And with the Fellowship with people who understand to varying degrees, we take ourselves into society. Practising these principles behind which we have this emotional and spiritual journey of love which makes it all worthwhile one day at a time…

No comments: